Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Buffalo and Lake Huron Railway

The Buffalo and Lake Huron railway, incorporated in 1856, ran 160 miles from Goderich to Fort Erie. In 1870, the Grand Trunk Railway took over the B. and  L.H.

(Source: The Handbook and Catalogue of Canadian Transportation Postmarks by T.P.G. Shaw)

The cover shown in this post features a B. and  L.H. R. transit handstamp.

Kinkora to Dublin, November 22, 1862
6d. (12 1/2 cents) rate to Ireland via Canadian Ocean Steamer

Buffalo and  Lake Huron Railway transit handstamp
"East November 24"